Monday, May 23, 2011

Joy Division. The 15 Best Songs

Joy Division were an amazing band from Manchester, England. Just prior to the release of their second album, Closer, singer Ian Curtis took his own life. The remaining members forged on with a new band, New Order. If you're interested in reading more about the history of Joy Division / Ian Curtis, I recommend Touching From A Distance, the book written by Curtis's wife, Deborah; the great film, Control and the Joy Division documentary.

It's super difficult to pick Joy Division's best songs, because they are one of my favorite bands, and I love every song. So, I'm going to approach this as a mixtape that I would make for a friend. Click on the song / album titles to purchase - or scroll down to the bottom for a Spotify playlist.

Photo by Anton Corbijn


15.  Leaders of Men
Released on the EP An Ideal for Living (1979); and on Substance (1988)
"When you walk down the street and the sound's not so sweet and you wish you could hide, maybe go for a ride"

14.  Isolation
From the album Closer (1980)
"Mother I tried, please believe me. I'm doing the best that I can"

13.  Digital
Released on the compilation A Factory Sample (1978); and on Substance (1988)
"I see you fade away. Don't ever fade away"


12.  She's Lost Control
From the album Unknown Pleasures (1979)
"I'll never know just why or understand, she said, I've lost control again"

11.  Atrocity Exhibition
From the album Closer (1980)
"Take my hand and I'll show you what was and will be"

10.  Dead Souls
Released on the compilation Licht Und Blindheit (1980); and on Still (1981) & Substance (1988)
"Someone take these dreams away that point me to another day"


09.  Twenty Four Hours
From the album Closer (1980)
"Gotta find my destiny before it gets too late"

08.  The Eternal
From the album Closer (1980)
"No words could explain, no actions determine. Just watching the trees and the leaves as they fall"

07.  Transmission
Released as single (1979); and on Substance (1988)
"The things that we've learned are no longer enough"


06.  New Dawn Fades
From the album Unknown Pleasures (1979)
"Different colors, different shades over each mistakes were made. I took the blame"

05.  A Means to an End
From the album Closer (1980)
"I put my trust in you"

04.  Decades
From the album Closer (1980)
"Watched from the wings as the scenes were replaying. We saw ourselves now as we never had seen"



03.  Love Will Tear Us Apart
Released as single (1980); and on Substance (1988)
"Something so good just can't function no more"

02.  Disorder
From the album Unknown Pleasures (1979)
"Who is right, who can tell, and who gives a damn right now?"

01.  Atmosphere
Released as single (1980); and on Substance (1988)
"Your confusion, my illusion - worn like a mask of self-hate, confronts and then dies. Don't walk away"



If you're a vinyl enthusiast, check out our feature on the Spin Clean Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine (click image below)


Follow us on Facebook / Twitter / Youtube

4 comments:

  1. No "These Days"? No "Shadowplay" (live BBC version or better yet the RCA version)? Incomplete list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These Days was on the list until the very end. Yeah, Shadowplay is a great song, but not in my top 17. Thanks for stopping by, but yeah... it's only complete if one can list every single song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good top! the only song I miss is No Love Lost but apart from that is almost the songs and order I would put them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alejandro! No Love Lost = great song. :)

    Hey, are you following my blog over on Facebook? If not, head over here and click LIKE: http://www.facebook.com/lifeonthisplanet

    Cheers!
    Bret

    ReplyDelete