Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Walking Dead - Compendium 1: A Review

By Robert Kirkman

I never got into comic books.  As a kid I had a few, but I was way more into collecting Star Wars figures, mastering Atari games and playing football with my brothers.  Two years ago, I saw an ad for an upcoming graphic recreation of Stephen King's classic The Stand (one of my favorite books).  I followed the first arc (comic book term for the first season/story line), but then I kept forgetting to go to the store each month for the new issue.  Recently I stopped into Atomic Comics in Mesa to check on what was going on in the Stephen King world.  An excited employee, noticing I wasn't a regular, sold me on this zombie comic called The Walking Dead.  I bought the first book, which contains 6 issues, went home and read it in a day - I was hooked.  The least expensive way to read this massive series is to buy the Compendium, which collects the first 48 issues and is way cheaper than buying the individual books.  It's currently going for under $40 on Amazon.  Individual issues are usually around $4, so this is a steal.  On to the book....

No spoilers here.  This is the story of police officer Rick Grimes, who wakes up from a coma after being shot in the line of duty.  The hospital is deserted and he quickly realizes that most of his fellow humans are now zombies.  The story is intense, following the trials of Rick and a group of other survivors.  The entire series is done strictly in black and white, contributing to the bleakness of the world that these characters now find themselves.

As you are probably aware, this is the book that the AMC TV show is based.  I've been enjoying the show every Sunday night for the past three weeks, but if you want to get even more into the story, order the Compendium version of The Walking Dead.  You will not be able to put it down.

The Walking Dead: Compendium One
1088 pages
Published by Image Comics on May 6, 2009
Buy on Amazon

If you're a vinyl enthusiast, check out our feature on the Spin Clean Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine (click image below)

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter / Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment