Friday, May 24, 2013

Ranking The Doors - from 'The Doors' to 'L.A. Woman'

As you may have already heard, The Doors' keyboardist - Ray Manzarek - passed away on Monday. As a tribute to his legacy - and the greatness of The Doors' catalog - I was inspired to make the fourth edition of a special series within my weekly feature, Friday On The Turntable. Instead of looking at one album, I am featuring all of The Doors' records from 1967 - 1971 - and ranking them! It was a mammoth task, and proved frustrating when putting albums that I love against other ones that I love. Nonetheless, I've provided a ranked list - from #6 - #1. Please note that I only included the six studio albums that featured Jim Morrison. As mentioned in the video, I also am including a Spotify Playlist, which features 10 excellent, lesser-known tracks from The Doors.

If you would like the short / textual version of the list, please scroll past the video. If you would like to watch my video discussion, check out the embedded video below - and be sure to click 'Subscribe' on my Youtube channel, for immediate access to my video posts. As always, I look forward to reading your comments and feedback. Click on any of the album titles if you'd like to purchase them.

As mentioned in the video, here is a link to my band Audra's Bandcamp Site. Thank you!


Here we go...



The text/pics version is below - don't scroll down yet if you want to enjoy the video.



#6. The Soft Parade (1969)
3 Favorite Songs: Wild Child, Touch Me, Wishful Sinful

#5. L.A. Woman (1971)
3 Favorite Songs: Riders On The Storm, L.A. Woman, Love Her Madly

#4. Morrison Hotel (1970)
3 Favorite Songs: Indian Summer, Waiting For The Sun, Blue Sunday

#3. Waiting for the Sun (1968)
3 Favorite Songs: Love Street, Not To Touch The Earth, Five To One

#2. Strange Days (1967)
3 Favorite Songs: Strange Days, People Are Strange, When The Music's Over

#1. The Doors (1967)
3 Favorite Songs: The Crystal Ship, The End, Light My Fire

Listen in on the 10 Best Lesser Known Songs by The Doors



If you're a vinyl enthusiast, check out our feature on the Spin Clean Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine (click image below)

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter / YouTube

2 comments:

  1. For some reasons I can't access the playlist. Would it be too much if I asked you which 10 songs you have included?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Konstantinos, perhaps the playlist is accessible to you now, but if not - here are the songs: End of the Night, You're Lost Little Girl, My Eyes Have Seen You, Spanish Caravan, Yes the River Knows, Wishful Sinful, Blue Sunday, Indian Summer, L'America and Hyacinth House.

      Thank you for stopping by - and my apologies for the long delay in responding! - Bret

      Delete