Friday, September 14, 2012

Ranking David Bowie - From Space Oddity to Scary Monsters

Today marks a special edition of my weekly feature, Friday On The Turntable - instead of looking at one album, I am featuring all of David Bowie's records from 1969 - 1980 - and ranking them! It was a mammoth task, and proved frustrating when putting albums that I love against other ones that I love. Nonetheless, I've provided a ranked list - from #12 - #1. Please keep in mind that I left off Pinups (since it is a covers album), and both of the 'official' live albums from that decade.

If you would like the short / textual version of the list, please scroll past the video. If you would like to watch my video discussion, check out the embedded video below - and be sure to click 'Subscribe' on my Youtube channel, for immediate access to my video posts.  As always, I look forward to reading your comments and feedback. If you would like to see Part Two, featuring a ranking of Bowie's later catalog, please click here.






The text/pics version is below - don't scroll down yet if you want to enjoy the video.




3 Favorite Songs:  Fantastic Voyage, Boys Keep Swinging, Look Back In Anger

3 Favorite Songs:  Fascination, Young Americans, Win

3 Favorite Songs:  Teenage Wildlife, Ashes To Ashes, Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)

3 Favorite Songs:  Heroes, Sons Of The Silent Age, Moss Garden

3 Favorite Songs:  Cygnet Committee, Space Oddity, Letter To Hermione

3 Favorite Songs:  All The Madmen, The Man Who Sold The World, The Supermen

3 Favorite Songs:  Word On A Wing, Wild Is The Wind, Station To Station

3 Favorite Songs:  Always Crashing In The Same Car, A New Career In A New Town, Breaking Glass

3 Favorite Songs:  Time, Lady Grinning Soul, Drive In Saturday

3 Favorite Songs:  Starman, Five Years, Rock 'N' Roll Suicide

3 Favorite Songs:  Life On Mars, Quicksand, The Bewlay Brothers

3 Favorite Songs:  Sweet Thing, We Are The Dead, Big Brother

Check out Part 2 of my David Bowie Ranking

If you're a vinyl enthusiast, check out our feature on the Spin Clean Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine (click image below)


Follow us on Facebook / Twitter / YouTube

2 comments:

  1. Aladdin Sane is most definitely the Bowie album I keep returning to. I love the video! I'll probably do a video response Bret.

    Bowie is my favourite artist of all time. I even went to work at Trident Studios but after Bowie had left working there (78-79) but his legacy and spirit lived on in that studio.

    I would have included Pinups which is a killer release and very relevant to how Bowie felt at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, thanks for stopping by. Would definitely enjoy seeing a response / ranking when you get around to it. Recently read Ken Scott's book - did you know him? - Bret

      Delete