Sunday, March 19, 2017

Saturday Night Music Club #39: Spring Equinox Edition

It's been a while, but we are back with a new edition of Saturday Night Music Club. The SNMC started up as an idea I had years ago - to recapture the feeling of being a kid and getting together with your friends in the basement to listen and discuss music. Over the last few years we've re-capped our monthly get-togethers with a video feature. For the time being, we are eliminating the video aspect of the SNMC and will be doing a blog feature, where each member of the club will briefly discuss their record. A track from each album (when available) will be collected into an ongoing SNMC Spotify playlist for you to listen in and enjoy the tunes as well.

This month's theme: We are celebrating the coming of Spring by bringing a record that has a flower on the cover. Let's take a look at what everyone brought...

Shelleyan Orphan - Century Flower
Rough Trade / Columbia | 1989
Favorite Song:
Century Flower
Why did you add this record to your collection:
Shortly after it came out, a friend of mine played me the title track and I was blown away. Over the years it's become one of my favorite albums
Describe this album in one sentence:
Daydreamy, organic orchestral-layered art pop with exquisite vocals (from the late Caroline Crawley)

Literature - Arab Spring
Square of Opposition / Slumberland | 2011
Favorite Song:
Lily
Why did you add this record to your collection:
I'm a fan of most Slumberland bands. I sampled one track and had to order this, as it fits into my collection so well
Describe this album in one sentence:
Jangly pop sunshine & lollipops

Crystal Stilts - Alight of Night
Slumberland | 2008
Favorite Song:
Crystal Stilts
Why did you add this record to your collection:
The in-store play copy at Urban Outfitters grew on me - had to add it
Describe this album in one sentence:
A beautiful, dark psych dream

The Prids - Do I Look Like I'm in Love?
Self-released | 2017
Favorite Song:
Lie Here
Why did you add this record to your collection:
Been a fan since 2003, and have seen them play in the last 3 cities I've lived in - KC, LA & PHX - and it's always been heavily worth it. First full-length from the band since 2010, and though the wait was long, I'm pretty sure this will rank righ in my year end Best of 2017 list
Describe this album in one sentence:
Dark vibrancy that floats between male & female vocals that rides you back to the best parts of 80s & 90s college radio

Eden's Children - s/t
ABC | 1968
Favorite Song:
Goodbye Girl
Why did you add this record to your collection:
I saw it in the record store and thought the cover looked cool. A month later the song 'Goodbye Girl' came up on my Spotify Discover, and I rushed out to the record store and bought it
Describe this album in one sentence:
60s Bean Town fuzzy garagey goodness



If you're a vinyl enthusiast, check out our feature on the Spin Clean Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine (click image below)

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter / YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment