Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lycia - Cold | An Interview with Mike VanPortfleet & Bret Helm of Audra

Welcome to this week's Friday On The Turntable feature! For those of you that follow my blog on Facebook, you'll recall that each Friday I post a featured record that I'm currently enjoying. To enhance the experience, I've been filming short videos - discussing a brief history of the record, my favorite tracks and what it means to me. The video is embedded below - and don't forget to subscribe to my youtube channel here.

This week I am presenting a very special episode of Friday On The Turntable. Not only am I discussing the 1996 album Cold from Lycia, but I have Mike VanPortfleet in the studio for a very rare interview. Lycia and my band - Audra - have performed together from as far back as 1997, and were labelmates on Projekt Records. Lycia is celebrating the vinyl reissue of Cold through the Handmade Birds label. Limited to only 600 copies, the 2LP 45rpm set - housed in a beautiful gatefold - comes in standard black, and a small amount of colored vinyl.

Purchase this album here. Thank you for watching and subscribing. - Bret



If you're a vinyl enthusiast, check out our feature on the Spin Clean Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine (click image below)

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter / YouTube

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Bret, thank you SO MUCH for posting this interview! 'Cold' is one of the most beautifully textured records I've ever heard. Just a few months ago I was writing on my own blog that my favorite thing about Lycia was their ability to convey the sound of things that are silent in real life. 'Cold' actually SOUNDS like a snowshower, just like the space and minimalism on 'Ionia' make it sound like the dessert. Those guys created a sound that's done wonders for my equilibrium for a decade and a half, and I always jump at the chance to turn people on to them.

    Anyway, good job on interview. I'm glad you brought up the Type O Negative tour. Even though it didn't end well, I still would have liked to have caught one of those shows.

    Mike +Tara, if you're reading this, thanks again for the music. The LP looks great!

    ReplyDelete