Thursday, May 19, 2011

Record Shopping: Part 4 / Washington - Rainy Day Records, Avalon Music, Everyday Music, Sonic Boom

This past week I found myself in Washington State. Like any road trip that I take, I always have to find some local record stores - it's an addiction. :) I was able to visit a bunch in a very short time. A huge thank you to the Record Store Day site for allowing me to search for independent record stores by state/city.

Rainy Day Record Co.
Olympia, WA
My first stop was at Rainy Day Records in Olympia. Independently-owned and operated since 1973, Rainy Day has a huge selection of vinyl, used and new. Laid back, well-stocked and a nice section of new vinyl marked down 50%, Rainy Day was a good find. I had only a short time to look, but managed to score a few good things:  the new Cold Cave record, a nice copy of Peepshow by Siouxsie & The Banshees, and a promo 12" of Love And Rockets offshoot: The Bubblemen. If you find yourself in Olympia, be sure to stop by Rainy Day.

Rainy Day Record Co. - 301 5th Ave SE, Olympia, WA 98507 | Website




Everyday Music
Bellingham, WA
I was in this store back in July 2009 for a few minutes. It's an independent chain with stores in Portland, Beaverton and Seattle. Lots and lots of CDs and DVDs, though they do have an entire wall of new and used vinyl. I left with only one LP in my hand, New Model Army's Thunder And Consolation. It was a bit hard to concentrate knowing that just across the corner was another store waiting to be explored.

Everyday Music - 115 E. Magnolia, Bellingham, WA 98225 | Website



Avalon Music
Bellingham, WA
Last time I was in Bellingham I didn't have time to stop in Avalon, so I was excited to check it out. Open since 1983, Avalon is a gem. The guy behind the counter was cool and I scored some rad used records:  Led Zeppelin III (with moveable artwork), Pink Floyd's Meddle, The Cure's Kiss Me double LP, a Steve Earle 7" and Scarrlett Johannson & Pete Yorn's cool single Relator. I highly recommend this store. If I lived in Bellingham I would be in there once a week.

Avalon Music - 1330 Railroad Avenue, Bellingham, WA 98227





Sonic Boom Records
Seattle, WA
Jackpot. I could've spent a couple days and a couple thousand dollars in Sonic Boom. Next to Amoeba in LA/SF, Sonic Boom has the largest selection of new vinyl that I've encountered, along with a huge section of new records on sale. I found some things that I have never come across in a physical store - Tyrannosaurus Rex - My People Were Fair..., Nico - Drama Of Exile double LP, Joy Division's Atmosphere 7". I also scored Low's Transmission EP on CD - also kind of hard to find, and an Esben And The Witch 12". Sonic Boom has two stores in Seattle - I visited the one in the Capitol Hill area. Do it.

Sonic Boom Records - 1525 Melrose Avenue, Seattle, WA 98122 | Website







I also stopped in Wall Of Sound, which was just around the corner from Sonic Boom. A cool little shop, but I already spent too much money! Check out Wall Of Sound here.

If you're a vinyl enthusiast, check out our feature on the Spin Clean Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine (click image below)

No comments:

Post a Comment