Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Instrumental Of The Day: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Pretty Little Ditty


In the next couple of weeks, I'll be compiling a list of some of the best 'rock' instrumentals. As always, 'best' doesn't necessarily mean that they are the most technical guitar pieces - while some will inevitably be - rather they will be a group of instrumental pieces that are gems on the albums for which they appear. Leading up to the 'Best Of List,' I will be peppering my blog with 'Instrumentals of the Day,' so please stand by. If you'd like to follow my daily posts, please click on that Facebook icon over to the right. :)

In - or around - 1987, I remember going into my local library and checking out the Red Hot Chili Peppers first album - on vinyl! Those were the days. :) A few years later, the Chili Peppers put out my favorite record in their catalog, Mother's Milk. Immediately following their take on Jimi Hendrix's 'Fire,' comes a beautiful instrumental called 'Pretty Little Ditty' - one of my favorite tracks by the Peppers. Originally clocking in at just over 1:30, an expanded version appeared on the 2003 remaster - you can hear the full version at the Spotify player below. Those of you with a good ear may also recognize that the main melody line was 'sampled' by a certain band in the early 00s.



No comments:

Post a Comment