Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Original vs. Cover: In Every Dream Home A Heartache - Roxy Music vs. Rozz Williams & Gitane DeMone


We're going to be having a face off here everyday for the next week - The Original vs. The Cover. I'll be featuring songs that aren't as obvious as say... William Hung's version of I Believe I Can Fly. :) It's my hope that you'll discover some really cool, new songs - and maybe some that you never even knew were covers.

Keep up on my daily postings by clicking LIKE over at the Life On This Planet Facebook Page or Twitter. I now have a Youtube Channel for my blog, so be sure to check it out and subscribe. Here we go...

The Original
Roxy Music - In Every Dream Home A Heartache (1973)

For me, those first two Roxy Music records are their best. I love the rawness, the energy and all of the weird sounds and chaos. 'In Every Dream Home A Heartache' appeared on Roxy's second LP, 1973's For Your Pleasure. The song builds and builds, until singer Bryan Ferry utters that line 'I blew up your body... but you blew my mind' - then bam, all hell breaks loose. Perfection.


The Cover
Rozz Williams & Gitane DeMone - In Every Dream Home A Heartache (1995)

My brother and I were supposed to see Rozz and Gitane perform this album, circa 1995 at The Nile in Mesa, but when we got to the door... it was cancelled. Since then, I've become friends with Gitane, and her/and Rozz's music means even more to me. Rozz and Gitane were bandmates in Christian Death for two wonderful albums: Catastrophe Ballet and Ashes. The two reunited in the mid-90s and recorded the beautiful Dream Home Heartache album. Take a listen to their version of the Roxy classic below. Spectacular.



1 comment:

  1. Good choice today! As much as I love Rozz and Gitane, I've gotta vote for the Roxy version. Ferry's monologue before the guitar line is simply haunting.

    ReplyDelete