Thursday, November 18, 2010

Antony and the Johnsons: 5 Songs To Enjoy

I first became aware of Antony Hegarty at a Lou Reed show in 2003.  During most of the show, he calmly sat in a chair stage left.  Every so often an incredible voice would appear in the speakers and I remember looking over at my brother confused as to where it was coming from.  When he eventually stood up and sang Candy Says - the Velvet Underground classic - I was completely blown away.  
On October 12, 2010, Antony and the Johnsons released their fourth album, Swanlights.  I've been listening to it quite a bit over the last few days.  As I dive deeper into the new songs, I'd like to share with you some of Antony's best work.  Please enjoy.

Swanlights:  CD, MP3, Vinyl, Hardcover Book [136 pages with CD, photos, etc.]

1.  The Lake.
Please watch this video all the way through.  It's just amazing and my favorite song of Antony's.



2.  Hope There's Someone.
The first track from the second album I Am A Bird Now.  Stunning.



3.  The Great White Ocean.
My favorite song from the new album Swanlights.

"Swim with me my Brother when I die
I don't ever want to say goodbye
If you do go first or if it's me
Oh my darling Brother, swim with me"



4.  Crazy In Love.
Antony's incredible cover of the Beyonce song.  It'll give you goosebumps.



5.  Another World.
From the third album The Crying Light.


No comments:

Post a Comment