Monday, August 22, 2011

Prayers for Rain. 24 Songs About Rain

As I sit here in front of my computer listening to some music, I know that sooner or later I'm going to have to walk outside into the Arizona heat. So what else can a guy who lives in the desert do but make a mixtape and hope for some cool rain. I'll pass on the haboobs (see mile high dust clouds), just a little rain. So, while the rain hits you up in the Pacific Northwest (or if you have an internet connection deep in the Amazon rainforest), think of me.

Keep up on my daily postings by clicking LIKE over at the Life On This Planet Facebook Page.


I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it. Although it would've fit in perfectly in the 80s, this track is from 2007. Very nice.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

The JAMC's second album, 1987's Darklands, has two 'rain' songs. Both are rad.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

A non-album single and one of my 25 favorite songs by The Beatles.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

A beautiful Hendrix ballad.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

From his hugely successful So album, I never get tired of this song.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

This is a really interesting song from the sister of actress Catherine O'Hara.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

From my favorite Peter Murphy album, 1995's Cascade.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

Although not really about rain, it does have rain in the title and it's a classic.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

The title track for this mixtape. 1989's Disintegration was/is such an epic album, but you already know that.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

'It's hard to hold a candle in the cold November rain'
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

I love the way the strings pop against the fretboard - sounds like rain hitting hard.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

The closing track on his self-titled album from '69. If you don't know Townes Van Zandt, you are missing out on a great American songwriter.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes



I have an old Audra video from the 90s where we're walking onto the stage while this song is playing. It was at The Atomic Cafe in Scottsdale, AZ - anyone remember that place? :)
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

From one of Moby's best records - 2005's Hotel.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

Great track from their second album - Reckoning. Be sure to check out my Best of R.E.M. list.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

Definitely an underrated band. 'She's been crying. I've been thinking. And I am the Rain King.'
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

If you don't know this Danish band, be sure to check out their album And The Glass Handed Kites - I think you'll enjoy.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

Brilliant and sad. The three verses deal with the suicide of a friend, his depression/drug addiction and his difficult road to success.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

A nice little ditty from their third album, Earth Sun Moon.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

Buy:  AmazoniTunes

So here's the other JAMC track I was hinting at earlier.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

It's been 11 years since SDRE's last album, The Rising Tide. Rumor has it that they're working on a new one.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

The album that reunited Suede's Brett Anderson and Bernard Butler.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

The final song on our mixtape. Thanks for listening. :)
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

Listen in on Spotify!


My cat Star won't give me back my mixtape!

No comments:

Post a Comment