Sunday, August 21, 2011

Planet Rotations #5

Over the last couple of weeks, I presented a challenge to my readers over on the Life On This Planet Facebook Page. In the age of playing selected songs from iTunes, we tend to skip through albums, or just listen to one or two tracks, missing some of the deeper cuts that may be brilliant. I am a big fan of the album format, and love to experience the entire album the way the artist intended. Listening to just one or two songs is like randomly reading a few chapters of a book and expecting to understand the completed work.

Like any music lover, I love to share what I'm listening to and discover some new things from friends. Here's what was in my playlist for this week. Please put your lists in the comments section below, or interact over at the Life On This Planet Facebook Page. Cheers, Bret.


Gavin Friday - catholic
The brand new album from the former Virgin Prunes' frontman. Glorious.
Buy:  Amazon

The Magnetic Fields - The Charm Of The Highway Strip
Songs for the wanderer.
Buy:  Amazon

Whenever I hear Here's Where The Story Ends, I feel like I'm back in high school in 1989 watching the video on 120 Minutes.
Buy:  Amazon

Truly one of the best live albums of all time. 2-disc set from their hometown, Manchester. Brilliant. Oh yeah, there is also a DVD of this show.
Buy:  Amazon

Pulp - His 'N' Hers
Once you hear the song Babies, you will want to own this album.
Buy:  Amazon

Once you hear the song Common People, you'll be getting this one too! :)
Buy:  Amazon

Steve Earle - Guitar Town
His first album. I love it.
Buy:  Amazon

Every so often I have to give the Audra records a spin to check 'em out. Sounds great. I am proud.
Buy:  AmazoniTunes

Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame
Favorite song on here: See You
Buy:  Amazon

David Bowie - Young Americans
Bowie's soul album.
Buy:  Amazon

I picked this up on vinyl the other day for 2 quid. Amazing. Art Garfunkel is so incredible - definitely overshadowed by the career of Paul Simon, but Garfunkel is my favorite.
Buy:  Amazon

The second disc from the 25th Anniversary box set. B-sides, alternate mixes, live tracks, unreleased material.
Buy:  Amazon

Social Distortion - Hard Times And Nursery Rhymes
Social D's latest album. I don't like it as much as their last one - Sex, Love And Rock 'n' Roll - but still some great tracks on here.
Buy:  Amazon

I saw this guy open for the Gin Blossoms a few years back and was really impressed. Check out the song FM Radio - it'll bring tears to your eyes.
Buy:  Amazon

Blind Melon - Soup
Just finished reading a book all about Shannon Hoon and Blind Melon called A Devil On One Shoulder And An Angel On The Other. Such a tragic story. This was their second album, and it's worth it for the incredible opening track, Galaxie.
Buy:  Amazon

The Lemonheads - Lovey
Evan Dando covers Gram Parsons' Brass Buttons.
Buy:  Amazon

Nirvana - In Utero
The final Nirvana record. I wonder what Kurt Cobain's music would've sounded like in 2011...
Buy:  Amazon

If you're a vinyl enthusiast, check out our feature on the Spin Clean Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine (click image below)

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter / YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment