Monday, December 5, 2011

Original vs. Cover: These Arms Of Mine - Otis Redding vs. The Big Pink

Every once in a while, I come across a song that is just brilliant, and then later realize that it's in fact a cover version. Well, we're going to be having a face off here everyday for the next week - The Original vs. The Cover. I'll be featuring songs that aren't as obvious as say... William Hung's version of I Believe I Can Fly. :) It's my hope that you'll discover some really cool, new songs - and maybe some that you never even knew were covers.

Keep up on my daily postings by clicking LIKE over at the Life On This Planet Facebook Page. Here we go...


The Original
Otis Redding - These Arms Of Mine (1964)

In 1964, Otis Redding released his debut album - Pain In My Heart. That record yielded four, big singles - including my favorite: These Arms Of Mine. Redding was an amazingly, talented songwriter, and just three years later he died in a plane crash near Madison, Wisconsin - only 26 years old. 'These Arms Of Mine' is a brilliant track, just perfect.


The Cover
The Big Pink - These Arms Of Mine (2009)

One of the best bands to emerge from 2009, with the release of their debut LP - A Brief History Of Love - is The Big Pink. Hiding out on the b-side to their second single, Velvet, is a wonderful cover of 'These Arms Of Mine.' I saw them perform at a small club in Phoenix, and the performance of this song was one of the show's highlights. Give it a listen below.

or
These Arms of Mine - Velvet - EP



No comments:

Post a Comment