Friday, July 22, 2011

Album Memories. Week #12. James - Laid

Welcome to Week #12 of my series entitled Album Memories. Normally I post these on the Life On This Planet Facebook Page, but realized that not everyone can participate if you aren't our friend on the FB. If not, head over there and click LIKE. Okay, let's move on.

Laid was the sixth studio album from Manchester's James. It is one of my absolute favorite albums of all time. I remember my brother buying this back when it came out, and I slowly fell in love with this record. Out To Get You, Sometimes, Say Something, Dream Thrum, One Of The Three, Skindiving, Lullaby, etc. - just amazing the whole way through. James has put out two albums since they reunited a few years ago - 2008's brilliant Hey Ma, and 2010's The Morning After The Night Before (check out my review).

Anyways, I would love to hear your memories and thoughts on Laid. If you aren't familiar with the album, or the band, click through the Amazon links above to purchase. Have a great weekend.





If you're a vinyl enthusiast, check out our feature on the Spin Clean Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine (click image below)

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter / YouTube

3 comments:

  1. Say Something is a great song, and the accompanying video is even more powerful. Very moving and must be seen! Laid was the first James CD I bought. Up until this point, I was hardly aware of James (other than Born of Frustration, which received some airplay), and in fact I did not think I liked the band much. After discovering Laid, I discovered the album before, Seven, which I now like even more than Laid actually (though Seven is not as fluid at Laid). Subsequently, I love all of James’ later releases more than I like Laid, but it’s still an amazing album (obviously). I would say Laid made me a James fan, and the later recordings solidified James as one of my all time favorite bands, in particular 1997’s Whiplash, which is interesting to me because I’ve heard it is possibly James’ least favorite of their recordings. And looking at their entire catalogue, it is their 2008 comeback that I consider the very best James record in existence today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lew, I enjoyed your comments. I remember hearing Born Of Frustration on the rad Phoenix radio station KUKQ AM 1060, back when it came out. Loved it then, though Laid was the first of their albums that I fell in love with. It is an incredible album, but they are the rare band that continues to top their greatest work over and over again. Yes, Hey Ma (from 2008) is just spectacular. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video above says "US version". Have you heard the non-US version? If so, any noteable differences?

    ReplyDelete